Stupid Dishwasher died on me

by Joe Somebody on Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chances are the thing was already dead. It was the first time I went to use it and the motor was siezed. I went ahead and called A.B. May. My home warranty is through them. They came out and diagnosed it. They came to the same conclusion. They gave me two options. 1. They will replace the part for free. 2. They will apply the repair credit ($158 USD) towards the purchase of a new dishwasher. Now the second option sounds great. The catch is that I must purchase the dishwasher through them. So I went ahead and got the model info from them and what it would cost me. OHH WHAT A RIP OFF! They want to charge $523 USD for the new dishwasher and thats with the $158 USD credit. I can buy that same fridge new from Lowes and it will cost me $386 USD installed, which includes hallway of the old one. To go even further. The MSRP on the Whilpool website says $499 USD for the stainless model. How the hell are they charging $681 USD for the same dishwasher!!!! A.B. May is a joke. I am not going to recommend them to anyone.

I left them a voice mail to give me a call back. We'll see what happens. I want the $158 USD to go towards any purchase I make.

Now you could say its not markup. Its the Labor involved. Im not paying for Labor. Its a warranty. I shouldnt have to pay for it. I'm already paying $60 USD just to have a service call. I now know why people usually don't get home warrantys. Its a rip off. The only reason I have one is because I did'nt have to pay for it.

Come next year, I will not renew it PERIOD!

Comments:

4 Responses to “Stupid Dishwasher died on me”

  1. Real life is hard man. I do however wish you the best of luck.

  2. When you think about it dishwasher is more of a luxury than a "must have item". If you can put that money towards something else do it.

  3. yes man!

  4. Ah..the toils of real life. Not looking forward to it.

Leave a Reply